You are asking this question because you are probably a beginner who doesn’t have much budget to spend on fancy laptops.
Well, the good news is that you don’t need to break the bank in order to get started with programming.
Many basic programming software only requires between 2GB and 4GB of RAM to run effectively.
A 4GB RAM laptop is good enough to run a few programming applications at a time and to fulfill your dream of getting started with programming (we have also provided a list of software that works perfectly with 4Gb).
You can always upgrade later down the road.
When should I upgrade to a higher memory?
Even though 4GB RAM is enough for programming, you might want to use advanced programming software at some point in your life.
In that case, you may need to upgrade your laptop’s RAM to 8 GB or higher in order to be able to use these programs effectively.
The higher memory you have, the smoother it will be for you to run multiple applications at a time.
Therefore, as soon as you have the budget, we recommend upgrading to a much better laptop.
Having said that, let’s have a look at different programming software that will run on a 4GB RAM laptop without boiling your blood.
Programming software that you can use on a 4GB RAM laptop
Here are a few popular programming software that can work well with 4GB of RAM
- Eclipse: A general-purpose IDE that is used for Java, C++, and Python.
- Sublime Text: A code editor that is popular for its speed and simplicity.
- Code::Blocks: An open-source IDE that supports multiple programming languages, including C, C++, and Fortran.
- BlueJ: An IDE specifically designed for teaching and learning programming, with a focus on Java.
- Dev-C++: An open-source IDE that can be used for C and C++ programming.
So as you read above, a 4GB RAM laptop is enough for a variety of programming software.
Programming softwares that need higher than 4GB RAM laptop
Here are some programming software that will require you to upgrade the memory of your laptop.
You may still be able to use them with 4GB, but the laptop will run a bit slower than normal.
Visual Studio: Microsoft’s integrated development environment (IDE) for Windows, used for developing a wide variety of applications, including Windows desktop, Windows Store, and Windows Phone apps, as well as web applications, and games.
Android Studio: Google’s IDE for Android app development, based on the IntelliJ IDEA platform.
Xcode: Apple’s IDE for macOS and iOS app development.
IntelliJ IDEA: A Java-centric IDE, also from JetBrains, that is used for developing a wide variety of applications.
Unity: A popular game engine and development environment, used to create games and simulations for a wide variety of platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more.
Autodesk 3ds Max and Maya, 3D animation and modeling software, used by game developers, visual effects artists, and graphic designers, are both resource-intensive, and having 8GB of RAM or more is recommended when using them.
Can I run python programming on 4GB RAM?
Yes, you can run Python programming on a 4GB RAM laptop. However, the number of programs you can run simultaneously will be limited by the available memory. If you are planning on running resource-intensive programs, you may want to consider upgrading to a computer with more memory.
This will allow your laptop to handle more complex tasks and improve the performance of your Python programs.
Here are some examples of large, complex Python programs that may require more than 4GB of RAM to run smoothly:
- Data analysis and machine learning applications: Python is a popular language for data analysis and machine learning, and programs in these areas can often be resource-intensive. For example, a machine learning program that uses deep learning algorithms to process a large dataset may require more than 4GB of RAM to run efficiently.
- Graphics-intensive programs: Python has libraries such as Pygame and Pyglet that can be used to create graphics-intensive programs. These programs may require more than 4GB of RAM to run smoothly, especially if they involve rendering high-resolution graphics or complex visual effects.
- Web servers: Running a web server written in Python, such as Django and Flask or the ones that serve a large number of clients concurrently, may require more than 4GB of RAM.
- Games: Python can be used to create games using libraries such as Pygame or Pyglet. Some games, especially those with detailed graphics and complex gameplay mechanics, may require more than 4GB of RAM to run smoothly.
- Virtualization software: Python has libraries such as libvirt-python and pyVmomi that can be used to create virtualization software. Running multiple virtual machines simultaneously using a Python program may require more than 4GB of RAM.
These are just a few examples of large, complex Python programs that may require more than 4GB of RAM to run smoothly.
There are many other types of programs that could also benefit from additional memory, depending on their specific requirements.
Is 4GB RAM enough for VS code?
However, there are some situations where 4GB of RAM may not be enough for running VS Code. For example:
- If you are working on large, complex projects with many files and modules, you may find that 4GB of RAM is not sufficient. This is because the program will need more memory to load and manipulate a large number of files.
- If you are using VS Code for tasks such as debugging or running tests, you may also need more than 4GB of RAM. These tasks can be resource-intensive, and having more memory can help the program run more smoothly.
- If you are running multiple programs concurrently, such as a web server or a database, you may need more than 4GB of RAM to avoid performance issues.
Overall, while 4GB of RAM can be sufficient for running VS Code in many cases, the specific requirements will depend on the complexity and size of the projects you are working on, as well as any other programs you are running concurrently.
If you are experiencing performance issues or running into memory limitations, upgrading to a laptop with more RAM may be a good solution.
Let go of the excuse, get started with programming
It’s easy to give up the dream of becoming a programmer when you see so many fancy and high-end laptops in the market and don’t have the budget even to buy their used version.
You then begin to ask “Is 4GB RAM enough for programming?”
Well, as you have read, the answer is a RESOUNDING YES!
So stop feeling bad, go ahead and buy a 4GB RAM laptop and make a mark in the programming world!